Traveling with jewelry can be a huge irritation, both while packing and when searching for the perfect accessories to wear while vacationing. Small pairs of earrings are easily separated; necklaces are caught in a never-ending knot; and soft metals become tarnished or scratched. What’s more, when you’re away from your usual routine and home organizational system, it’s much easier to misplace valuables. Accessorizing while on holiday can be stressful, but these tips and tricks could help save you money and headaches on your trip away.
To ensure every item is secure and accounted for:
Separate for Safety
– Packing all your jewelry together in one place ensures that if one item gets stolen, all will be lost. To avoid this dilemma, try stowing away your jewelry in various locations when packing to keep everything safe and accounted for. Separate by jewelry type to save time sifting and unknotting different pieces, or compartmentalize by day/outfit so you have every item you need in one handy Ziploc or makeup bag!
Watch Your Watches
– When you are flying, keep your jewelry in your handbag or carry-on so you can keep an eye on it at all times. That way, you won’t have to worry about
your expensive jewelry going missing if your luggage gets lost.
Wear Without Worry
– Keep your jewelry on when going through security checkpoints, unless specifically asked to remove it. When you put your jewelry in the bins, you run the
risk of the person before or after you claiming it as his or her own.
If You Love it, Leave it
– Leave your expensive jewelry home. This may be unavoidable for dressier occasions such as weddings, however, when packing for more casual trips, try and
avoid bringing any jewelry you’d be devastated to lose.
To Avoid Unnecessary Digging and Disentangling:
Small Storage Solutions
– Use pill box or wallet to store small items like rings and earrings. It will be
easy to access your small pieces without digging through large containers. The compact pill box will also fit nicely in your bag, yet will be easier to
locate than small plastic bags or fabric pouches.
Sort and Store
– Store your jewelry in a compact jewelry organizer box with separate compartments for each item. This will keep everything organized and safe from being tangled or crushed. These boxes come in a variety of sizes to fit neatly in your
– Tangled necklaces can take forever to sort out. Try stringing your necklaces through a plastic straw. This is a cheap and easy way to keep your necklaces from getting jumbled up.
Hang it Up
- Most hotels and lodges don’t supply an adequate space for you to keep your jewelry. Consider using a hanging jewelry organizer to sort and store each piece for easy access. You can hang this in your closet and easily roll it up to fit it in your suitcase.
When you’re packing for your next vacation, keep these tips and tricks in mind. In addition, always remember to stay alert when traveling with expensive items and to use your best judgment to keep yourself and your belongings safe.